A letter signed by various NGO’s was presented to Hon. Sam Brownback, Ambassador at Large for Religious freedom around the world. It will be presented to the President, Secretary of State, Defence, and Attorney General as well https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K6590nqx_Vi5DIb-sCzytrdMILMzlToun_EBWZk0B5k/edit
October 16, 2019
Hon. President of the United States, Donald Trump
Hon. Secretary of the State, Mike Pompeo
Hon. Attorney General William Barr
Hon. Secretary of Defense, Mark Esper
Hon. Ambassador for International Religious Freedom, Sam Brownback
Dear President Trump,
We urge you to ask the Honorable Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi, to lift the six-week-long severe restrictions on the ordinary lives of the 7 million citizens of Kashmir, restore their freedom, and ensure the rule of law is in place. Here are a few points to consider;
- Prime Minister Modi’s actions in Kashmir can unleash a genocide of the Christians, Muslims, Dalits, Sikhs and others, and further lead to a significant setback to American economic and security interests in South Asia.
- Seven million people have been living in a prison-like environment in Kashmir since August 5, 2019. It has been more than a month now, and there are no signs of easing. The complete blockade of communications and freedom of movement has made life unbearable for the people, as they cannot purchase food, medicine, or even know what is happening to their relatives. This blockade needs to end.
- Reports from the United Nations point to more than 50,000 deaths since 1989 in the area. 214,000 children have been orphaned during the years of conflict. Civilians continue to experience brutal oppression. “Close to 3,000 people have been detained in Kashmir — many of them children — since Aug. 4,” The most recent study (2011) shows over 20,000 people have been detained without charges. An unaccounted number of rapes are happening.
- The Christians, Muslims, Sikhs, Dalits, and others are patiently enduring lynching, abuse, rape, and endless harassment. If there is no solution offered to their suffering, it may lead to chaos and genocide, which may require costly international intervention if the conflict is to be prevented from spreading.
- Mr. Modi and his government must further ensure that every Indian, regardless of religion or ethnicity, will be treated as an equal citizen, protected by legal authorities. and allowed to pursue life, liberty, and happiness.
- We urge you to ask Prime Minister Modi to allow the Commissioners of the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) to visit Kashmir and Assam, and enable them to report the facts on the ground.
- India is a bulwark for us against Chinese expansionism. It needs peace and stability to remain healthy, not social unrest.
- Kashmir is a flashpoint of Indo-Pakistan conflict, and it is a ticking time bomb. Should a nuclear exchange over this land occur, it will result in millions of casualties.
Your message will carry enormous weight with the Government of India, and an additional dispatch from the Department of State as well as Ambassador Brownback to this effect will keep our allies — India and Pakistan — from moving towards disaster.
Your timely statement will do miracles. The world would appreciate you and your administration for stopping a possible genocide of Uyghurs, Kashmiris, and Indians if you can act in time.
Ambassador Brownback has reiterated that if people are free from fear, they can focus on nation-building, and everyone will prosper. Religious freedom in the United States is a compelling reason for our prosperity; the world can learn from our experience.
Your message will help promote and restore India’s democracy and freedoms.
# # #
Initiated by the Center for Pluralism, Washington, DC –
Mike Ghouse – Cell (214) 325-1916 | (202) 290-3560
Respond to: Mike@CenterforPluralism.com
NGOs supporting the appeal.
- International Christian Concern – Matias Perttula
- United Sikhs – Pawan Kang
- St. Nicholas Freedom Group – John Anderson
- Christian Solidarity WorldWide – Anna Lee Stingl
- US Women Christian Chamber of Commerce – Ambassador Lydia Gonzalez
- International Center for Rights and Justice – Rev. Joseph Grieboski
- US India Policy Institute – Dr. Hyder Khan
- American Indian Muslims – Kaleem Khawaja
- International Human Rights Committee – Nasim Malik
- Uyghur Human Rights Project — Omer Kanat
- Redeem USA – Dr. William T. Devlin
- Church of Scientology – Sue Taylor
- Citizen Power Initiatives – Jianli Yang
- Hardwired, Inc – Tina Ramirez
- Islamic Society of North America – Dr. Sayyid Sayeed
- Indian American Muslim Council – Mohammad Jawad
- The Way to Happiness Association of Florida – Kelly Pomeranz
- Muslim Philanthropy – Rasheed Ahmed
- United Muslims of Interfaith Alliance – Iftekhar Hai
- Red Eagle Enterprises – Scott Morgan
- Jubilee Campaign USA – Ann Buwalda
- Great Truth – Andy Swarna
- Happy Science USA Washington Bureau – Satoshi Nishihata
- AdvanceUSA – Dr. Carl Herbster
- The Association against Religious Persecution – Shirley Fan
- Law and Liberty Trust – Lauren Homer
- Journal of America – Abdul Sattar Ghazali
- UMA Interfaith Alliance – Iftekhar Hai
- The way to Happiness Association – Kelly Yaegermann
- Liftup Now foundation – Dr. A. Ojutiku
- JAMAAT – Jews and Muslims and Allies together – Walter Ruby
- Christian Freedom International – Wendy Wright
- St. Nicholas Freedom Group – Fr. John Anderson
- American Humanist Association – Roy Speckhardt
- Mohammed Siddique
2. Tufail Ahmed
3. Uma Shankari Naren
4. Rabbi Herb Levy
5. Asrarul Haque
6. Dr. Rashid Chotani, MD, MPH, FRCPH
7. Danielle Khan. special Asst to Ambassador Swanee Hunt
8. Victor Begg, Interfaith Community Leader, Florida